Tuesday, October 14, 2008

if only i had taken...

AHHH!!! sometimes being a grad student in an interdisciplinary field is so frustrating... I consistently think something like, "if I only had studied engineering then I would have a wide range of exposure to mathematics in an application mindset.. that would be so handy," or "if only I had studied physics, I would have had plenty of math classes, and stats classes, and any number of other classes that I could easily utilize", and today I've thought, "if only I had taken more computer science classes... I could write code so much easier and not spend all day doing a 'simple' automated calculation!" I know this is a very pessimistic outlook.. I should instead say, "well at least I have taken so many computer science, biology, physics classes, math classes, stats classes so that I could catch on to the material that I have to learn," or, "I'm glad that I took lots of humanities classes to fill my time because it really was interesting to learn about history and religion and all those other things.. it helps me have something besides science to think and talk about," or, "even though I took a lot of math classes where proving theorems was the dominant subject matter, and I don't use that much anymore, I did learn how to break up problems logically, make an argument, and think critically with creativity." However, I tend to have a pessmistic outlook when it comes to me and a positive outlook when it comes to everyone else. I guess I'll need to try and change that... in the meantime... I hope my little computer code works and does what I want to soon...

No comments: