Monday, February 23, 2009

Mardi Gras 2009

So on Saturday I went down to Galveston for a Mardi Gras parade. It was the first time I had been to a mardi gras celebration. My friend that I went with went to New Orleans last year for celebration, he said that there was more kids in Galveston than in New Orleans... a little bit of a different clientele. This is a picture of me with my beads I caught off at the Parade (I didn't get a picture of me at the parade). My friend said that I was popular. Basically whenever I would put my arms up and cheer then I would get beads thrown at me... I responded, "Well I'm hot, what can I say?" Gotta love the arrogant self sometimes ;). I was impressed with the floats. They were quite ornate. I wonder if they would have been even more ornate if there hadn't been a hurricane a few months ago. The part of Galveston that I drove through looked back to normal, but my friend said he saw some boats in parking lots while we were driving, and we didn't go off the touristy areas much... and it def hasn't gotten its business level back up. There is even talk of closing the hospital down there. Anyways, back to mardi gras. So an example of the floats is seen here. Some had different themes - this one was a pirate obviously. Others included, 'under the sea' and '007'. In the parade there were also a lot of good marching bands (I've decided that being in a marching band would be very difficult). And lots of good dancers and baton spinners and flag twirlers. I enjoyed it.. even though it was a chilly mid50s temperature with a wind.. thank goodness for coats! Yes, before you say it, I admit I've acclimated and am currently a temperature wimp! Anyways, Happy Fat Tuesday!



6 comments:

Michelle said...

I didn't know you had a blog! I just happened to see that you are following mine. I like the colorful background.

Your hair is cute and it looks like you had fun at the parade. Traditionally you get the beads from flashing people... and you had a lot of beads. That would be a lot of shirt lifting!

Elizabeth said...

Yeah I haven't told too many people about my blog because I'm not super regular at it yet. But I'm glad you found me!

And I said I got my beads cuz I was hot... that was enough of an explanation ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You do have a lot of beads! Looks like lots of fun. Mom

Anonymous said...

Can I just add that you look hot in the first picture?

Emlyn said...

You are HOT! Glad you're having fun... and glad you're following my blog too so I can blog-stalk you now!